Eric's Net 11 Log

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Module 1 - FTP Task

FTP Task

File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is a technology I have had a chance to use from time to time. However, my experience with it has been limited to its use via a browser or via command line. This task introduced me to FTP tools that I had not previously been aware of. I downloaded the FileZilla tool and was able to connect to recall.curtin.edu.au. The FileZilla screenshot below shows the readme text file being downloaded from the FTP site.




The readme text file was located at: ftp://recall.curtin.edu.au/Anonymous/MSC/readme.txt. The words found within the readme file which answer the question in the FTP Task are 'CAPITALIZTION MATTERS'. This exercise raised a couple of concerns in my mind. Firstly, when I opened up the readme file the text was not wrapped and scrolled a long distance to the right. To address this issue I opened the file directly from my C: by right clicking on it and opening it with 'Wordpad'.



The second concern raised was in relation to location the readme file. In this exercise it was a quick process due to a small number of folders on the FTP site that were not heavily nested. If the opposite situation were to occur it may be very difficult to find a file. I did discover a tool which could help in identifying file locations within an FTP site. This tool is called 'FlashPeak FTP Search'. Once this tool is downloaded it is not portable and must be installed. The tool works as follows:
  1. Enter the FTP site into the address field i.e. recall.curtin.edu.au. You may extend the path by appending a folder name to the FTP address to narrow your search.
  2. Enter the anonymous user name
  3. Click on 'Add' button
  4. Highlight the FTP address you are searching on and Click on 'Search' button.
  5. Once the search is complete it will show in bottom window then click on 'Export' button as save result into a text file
  6. Open text file and use Ctrl F to find the file you are after.

The FTP search is shown in the below screenshot:

Overall I think FTP is a very handy tool. Unlike Telnet it is still prominently used within the IT industry and is used very frequently in places I have worked as the primary method of receiving updates or patch files for applications.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home